We are excited to be able to start offering guided walks over the next two months – for up to 6 people. This complies with government guidance, and public health advice that transmission of the Covid-19 infection is much less likely to happen outdoors.
Of course, we will all still have to maintain social distance during the walks, but we can, nonetheless, start to enjoy, once again, being able to walk in sociable company.
Because numbers must be limited to 1 Walks Leader plus 5 participants, we are introducing a BOOKING SYSTEM and giving ADDITIONAL GUIDANCE. Please read the information below carefully before booking. Bookings will be taken on a first come first serve basis. To book, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Details of the walks on offer are listed at the bottom of this news item, and can also be found at https://baildonwalkersarewelcome.org/whats-on/
GUIDANCE FOR PEOPLE WISHING TO JOIN ONE OF OUR “SUMMER SIXERS” GUIDED WALKS:
1. Please read the description of the walks on offer carefully, in order to choose one that suits you.
2. If you have not done much walking during lockdown, please choose a walk that is well within your capacity.
3. Leaders will not be able to give you any personal assistance which would involve close proximity or touch during the walk (except in an emergency), e.g. they cannot help you to cross stiles, or manage slippery slopes, so if you think you might need assistance please bring along a family member (i.e. book 2 places).
4. Please bring with you:
* any medication you might need, including plasters;
* hand santiser;
* water bottle and any snacks.
5. Please remember that, many paths will be stony or muddy (after all the rain we have been having) so please wear good footwear with non-slip soles.
6. To book, email email@example.com giving the following information (maximum of 2 people from the same household per booking):
* Title and date of the walk you wish to book on.
* Your name/s, address, telephone number, email address.
* An emergency contact – name and telephone number – that we should contact in case you became ill during the walk.
* Any significant health information that you feel the leader should be aware of (we will treat this information in strict confidence and it will only be shared with the walk leader).
7. If, after having booked, you do not feel well in the days leading up to the walk, or on the day itself, please stay at home and do not join the walk. You can inform us that you are not going to participate by emailing the firstname.lastname@example.org email .
8. If you arrive at the meet-up point appearing unwell, or without the footwear appropriate to the walk, the Walks Leader may need to ask you not to start the walk.
9. The walks will take place even if it is raining. We will only cancel if the weather is so bad as to be deemed a potential hazard – in which case we will telephone you as early as possible to let you know.
All walks start from The Potted Meat Stick, adjacent to the Ian Clough Hall car park in the centre of Baildon (BD17 6ND).
Thursday 6 August. 10.00am start. “BAILDON BANK CIRCULAR”. 4 miles. Meet Walks Leader, Bob Davidson for a circuit down to Baildon Green, up Hardaker Lane, and back along the footpath along the top of the Bank. No stiles; gentle ascent. Aiming to return for approx. 12.30pm.
Wednesday 12 August. 1.00pm start. SPECIAL DEMENTIA FRIENDLY WALK. Meet at Roberts Park for a gentle stroll. APOLOGIES: THIS WALK IS NOW ALREADY FULLY BOOKED.
Monday 17 August. 1.30pm atart. “LODE PIT BECK, HIGH ELDWICK AND RETURN”. 7.5 miles. Meet Walks Leader, Chris Flecknoe to ascend up and over Baildon Moor and down to Lode Pit Beck before continuing up to High Eldwick and back to Baildon across the horse-gallops. Aiming to return for 4.30pm. APOLOGIES: THIS WALK IS NOW ALREADY FULLY BOOKED.
Thursday 20 August. 10.00am start. “HAWKSWORTH CIRCULAR”. 6 miles. Meet Walks Leader, Mervyn Flecknoe to follow tracks to Tong Park reservoir and up over the golf course to Hawksworth. Enjoy views down into the Wharfe Valley before returning via Hawksworth and the stepping stones over Gill Beck for the final ascent back to Baildon. Some steady ascents and descents and some stiles (and stepping stones across the river). Return for 1.00pm.
Also on THURSDAY 20 AUGUST. 1.30PM START. “A PINT AND A POOTLE”. A gentle walk of 4 miles. Meet Walks Leader, Pat Addinell for a triangular walk, passing St James Church, and along the canal to stop at Saltaire Brewery Tap for socially distance refreshment before returning to Baildon centre via Ferniehurst. No
stiles. Return time slightly dependent on refreshment stop, but aiming for 4.30pm.
Thursday 27 August. 10.00am start. “LADDERBANKS, ESHOLT AND RIVER AIRE CIRCUIT”. 5 miles. Meet Walks Leader, Bob Davidson to follow the route of one of the walks on the “Baildon Walkers are Welcome Four Walks” leaflet. After passing Tong Park reservoir and the walk will continue towards Hollins Hall, before descending to Esholt and then back, initially beside the river. There is inevitably a final ascent back up to the centre of Baildon. Return time for 12.30 – 1.00pm.